Digital Colony was launched way back in 1999 and for the first few years all the content was hand coded and then FTP’d up. Then I wrote my own content management system using Classic ASP. It ran pretty good, but I decided to trash my code and use Blogger to publish to this site. That ended up being a big mistake.
Blogger for FTP accounts ended up being highly unstable. When you saved a post on the Blogger server it would publish not just the post you saved, but EVERY post on the history of your entire account, every archive page and every label page. Their software was too dumb to publish just the files impacted by the save. Once this site grew in size, every post took longer and longer. Then it would just crash and fail.
I detailed my frustration in February 2008 on my personal site in the post titled Death to Blogger. Two years later I posted Google Pulls Plug on Blogger FTP Accounts. This left this site without a way to publish content.
Over the past two years I tried and tested MANY blogging software tools that ran on IIS. None of them met my needs. WordPress is so far ahead of the ASP.NET solutions. But WordPress requires MySQL and my former host refused to offer it. So when WinHost added MySQL, I moved over Digital Colony and imported everything into WordPress. For the past week, I have updated every link and done extensive testing. Everything is working again.
It is good to be back.